Released in March 2017 the Ted slot is Blueprint Gaming’s take on the 2012 comedy movie of the same name by Seth MacFarlane starring Mark Wahlberg playing opposite his walking, talking teddy bear.
Packed with 6 scatter features and 5 base game reel modifiers Ted is of medium variance, is played on a 5x3 reel set with 20 fixed pay lines, and comes with an RTP of 95.805%. You can play Ted from €0.20 to €200 per spin.
Design & Symbols
Ted is animated with cartoon graphics and is situated in the basement where Ted lives in the movie. Ted is asleep on his sofa in the foreground surrounded by empty beer cans with the game board above him (although he wakes up to help with the features during the course of the game).
The game board has a red neon border with translucent blue reels. Whenever Ted is awake he is constantly talking to you, with all the (highly amusing) lines taken straight from the movie.
The low value symbols are the standard J, Q, K, A Royals followed by bongs, a six pack of beers, Lori (Ted’s girlfriend), an angry duck, and the game’s logo which appears stacked and is the highest paying regular symbol, awarding 25x your bet size for 5 along a pay line.
The wild is Ted himself (also paying 25x for 5 along a pay line), and the scatter is the “Thunder Buddies Bonus” symbol.
There are two sets of features, the 5 base game Ted Modifiers, and the 6 Thunder Buddies Bonus features triggered by the scatter.
Thunder Buddies Bonus Features
Land three scatters and Ted will awaken, the game board will transform into a screen which Ted apparently operates by remote and one of six features will be awarded via a Wheel of Fortune on the screen. The features are listed in order of apparent value, and you are given the opportunity to gamble to the next feature if you so desire.
- Bar Crawl Bonus – In this board-game type feature you must choose bottles which then reveal a number of moves across the board. Most squares are ‘win multipliers’, so if you land on ‘5x’ you will be awarded 5x your bet size (rather than it multiplying your entire win). Other squares include ‘Girls’ which increases the win multipliers around the board, ‘Pizza House’ awards and extra move, ‘Ming’s Takeaway’ gives awards a mystery cash win from a fortune cookie, ‘Beer’ lights up one of five Ted Beer symbols necessary to enter the ‘Ted’s Big Money Bonus’, and ‘Arrested’ will either allow you to continue or will see you put in the cells and your round is over.
- S-Mart Free Spins – Five free spins are awarded. Ted walks along a conveyor belt in front of the reels. The background to the reels shows supermarket shelves with wild symbols scattered upon them. As Ted and the board move along the conveyor they go past the shelves. When the spin stops any wilds which are on the shelves directly behind the reels at that time are transported to the game board which can lead to big wins.
- Flash Free Spins – You will be awarded a set number of free spins on a bigger, 5x4 board. At the end of each spin you’ll be awarded a bonus from a pyramid style grid (bonuses include extra spins, extra wilds on the reels and total win multipliers). Reach the top of the grid and you’ll enter Ted’s Big Money Bonus
- Wheel Of Fortune – You must select a Ted to reveal an arrow, a multiplier boost or spin. If you reveal an arrow you increase your chances of moving up a level towards the centre of the wheel where the prizes are bigger, the multiplier boost increases the amount you’ll win if you land on a multiplier. Hit spin and you’ll start the spin to land on a win. Get to the centre and you’ll go through to the Ted’s Big Money Bonus.
- Ted’s Big Money Bonus – Gets you straight into the Big Money Bonus which will award at least one large multiplier of your total bet up to a maximum of 1000x your bet size.
Ted modifiers are randomly triggered whenever Ted wakes up during the base game whereupon he will award one of the following six features:
- Beer Streak – Ted sprays beer over the reels once a winning combination lands, covering all the symbols in beer bubbles. The symbols shuffle around resulting in another winning combo. This will continue until the bubbles burst.
- Laser Gun Wilds – Ted fires a laser gun at the reels. The resulting beam bounces around the game board, turning all the symbols it hits to wilds.
- Psychedelic Super Spin – Upon waking Ted take a big hit on his bong and blows a plume of smoke across the reels which will reveal numerous special Ted symbols. These symbols will then all turn into matching regular symbols.
- Psychedelic Colossal Spin – Once again Ted blows Bong smoke across the reels which this time results in three reels combining into one big symbol.
- Psychedelic Bonus Boost – This time Ted’s bong smoke will add more bonus symbols to the reels which will increase the chances of landing the Thunder Buddies Bonus.
- TV Remote Symbol Streak – When a win lands this feature sees Ted smashing the buttons on his TV remote, whereupon the reels will respin with the winning combo held in place. This will continue until no new winning combos land.
Our Thoughts on Ted
I absolutely loved this game. It’s probably not one for the serious high variance fans, but for everyone else it should be a delight, especially if you’re a fan of the film, the essence of which is captured perfectly throughout the slot. It could be argued that there are a few too many features, but in all honesty I thoroughly enjoyed them all, and besides for those who are more interested in hitting the big time rather than talking any old feature, there is always the option to gamble the scatter features all the way to the Big Money Feature. It’s really good to see Blueprint really work hard to stay true to the movie and come up with such a unique and varied slot.