Rome: Rise of an EmpireBlueprint Gaming
Rome: Rise of an EmpireBlueprint Gaming
Rome: Rise of an Empire by Blueprint Gaming released on 17.01.2019 is a 5-reel & 3-row online slot with 20 paylines and a 96.64% RTP. This is a roman-themed game offering players a max win of up to 10000x their stake. Rome: Rise of an Empire can be played on all devices from €0.2 to €500 per spin and is considered a medium volatility game.
Where to play
Design and Symbols
Blueprint designs generally tend to be among the better in the online slot world, and Rome: Rise of an Empire certainly bears witness to that.
Although the Roman Empire is a well-worn theme and the background of the coliseum and symbols including gladiators, shields and swords are pretty standard for this type of slot, it’s the animations and artwork both in the base game and in the many bonus games which set Rome Rise of an Empire slot apart from the crowd.
Gloriously detailed raging battles, sweeping animated vistas across Rome, spectacular erupting volcanoes - this game really can be a visual feast!
With regards the symbols, the low values are taken by the card suits; spades, clubs, diamonds, and hearts while the higher value symbols are shields & swords, a centurion helmet, a gladiator, an empress, and the game’s logo which is the highest paying symbol with 25x the stake awarded for 5 on a pay line.
The SPQR emblem (meaning: The Roman Senate and People) is the wild which pays the same as the logo, and the coliseum is the bonus or scatter symbol.
Once again Blueprint has come up trumps with the choice and sheer range of features on offer within Rome: Rise of an Empire. Similar to their movie-themed slots (TED, The Goonies, Mars Attacks!) there are several randomly triggered base game modifiers as well as scatter bonus games.
There are 5 modifiers in Rome: Rise of an Empire, all of which are triggered randomly by the appearance of a beautifully animated Tiger who appears from the left of the screen to award one of the following modifiers:
- Sword Strike: Often awarded with wilds on the reels and after a winning combination, a large sword comes into view and skewers all the symbols on the bottom row and removes them whereupon the symbols from above cascade down bringing a new row of symbols into play on the top row. Up to 3 sword strikes may occur with each hopefully landing you a new winning combo
- Legions Glory: During a spin between 1 and 3 full wild shields with the land, hopefully leaving with them a decent win.
- Spears of Destiny: After a spin, spears will be launched into a randomly chosen symbol which has landed. This symbol will then become a sticky wild and a respin will take place. Any subsequent examples of that same symbol which land will also be speared and will also become sticky if a winning combo has rolled in. Respins will continue until no more new wins are created.
- Symbolus Maximus: A scroll will appear center screen and unfurl to reveal one of the regular symbols whereupon all examples of that symbol on the reels will turn wild. A second scroll will apply a multiplier to any win which has been unearthed by the added wilds.
- Bonus Boost: With the addition of more bonus scatters, the chances of entering the bonus rounds increases.
Triggered by landing 3 or more scatters there are 5 possible features. A big screen in the centre of the game board shows the features rotating before landing on one (much like the TV screen operated by TED in the movie inspired Blueprint slot). In order of value they are:
- Urn Riches: In this pick me feature you must choose in which order you’re going to smash the 4 rows of 5 urns to see what’s inside. Different symbols include coins, hearts, helmets, shields, daggers, and golden laurels and each is assigned a bet multiplier. Whichever symbol is the first to appear three times will be your win. Get 3 laurels and you’ll go straight to the highest value bonus round, the Big Money Bonus.
- Uprising: You’ll be taken to a spectacular night time battle faced with huge stone fortress towers rising up into the burning volcanic sky. The aim is to shoot burning arrows into the towers, each of which has a different win multiplier attached. Whichever tower falls first will reveal your win. You can get an upgrade during this feature in which the highest value tower will change from being a multiplier win to granting immediate access to the Big Money feature if you destroy that tower.
- Volcanic Cash: This is a free spins round in which you will spin the reels until a “stop” symbol appears on reel three. In the meantime, you can hit multipliers of 2x, 3x, and 5x along the way. Whichever multiplier you have reached will apply to all wins made until you either land the next multiplier or land the “stop” symbol. When the stop symbol does land you will get one more spin in which any wins will be multiplier by 3ither 6x or 10x.
- Empress’s Treasure: This feature awards 15 free spins as well as the possibility of landing full reel wilds which comes in the shape of a beautiful Roman Empress. If and when you land an Empress wild you will be offered a cash prize to quit the game, much in the same way the banker offers the contestant a cash prize to quit the game in ‘Deal or No Deal’.
If you choose to reject that offer then that full reel wild will be locked in place for the remainder of the free spins. If you land anymore Empress Wilds you will again be offered a cash prize to quit or the opportunity to continue playing with two full reel wilds. At the end of the free spins, you will also be awarded a bonus amount of Empress Treasure to complete your win.
- Caesars Big Money Bonus: To trigger this feature you will need to either have landed 5 scatters initially, have won an upgrade from a lower value feature, or gambled you way up from a lower feature (you can gamble any of the features to try to progress to a higher value feature. If you win you move up one feature and if you lose you will be awarded a random mystery win).
If you get to the Big Money Bonus you’ll be taken to an aerial view of Rome, starting at the Coliseum where you must choose between three coins to reveal a multiplier total of between 10x and 500x your initial bet size. Once that win has been added to your feature balance you’ll scroll across to a different part of the city and repeat. This will continue until you choose a coin which reveals the word “Collect”, whereupon you will leave the game and be awarded the cash you’d already won in the round.
Our Thoughts on the Rome Rise of an Empire Slot
Blueprint has knocked it out of the park once again with Rome: Rise of an Empire. Although very similar in format to a fair few of their other slots, the features are unique, interesting, and a lot of fun.
Perhaps it won’t appeal to a hardcore high variance player, although as medium variance slots go we managed to find great potential in it. It also looks good and the bonus features were spot on with great visuals and exciting gameplay.
If you love a lot of features and a well-designed slot then Rome: Rise of an Empire can’t fail to tick the boxes.