Champions of Rome Slot
With a Roman Gladiator theme, Champions of Rome, released on 21st February is Yggdrasil Gaming’s latest slot worthy of review.
Once again in slotland we head to the Colosseum to spin the reels of life or death for some more combative characters. Champions of Rome is a 5x3 reel, 20 payline slot with an RTP of 96.4%. The game is of medium volatility, although options in the bonus round can increase that to medium/high.
This slot comes with both base and bonus game features and can be played from €0.20 to €100 per spin.
How To Play The Champions of Rome Slot
Get to know the special features of this game before you take it for a spin.
Champions of Rome certainly isn’t short on features. There are three base-game ‘Gladiator’ features, and a bonus round with a choice of increasingly volatile free spin rounds. There is also a ‘buy-a-bonus’ option.
The Gladiator feature is triggered by landing 2 scatter symbols. Four wild symbols are launched on to the reels by a Gladiators weapon. The manner and order in which the wilds land will be determined by which Gladiator is randomly chosen:
- Red Gladiator: Swords – the sword awards a double-stacked and 2 single wilds on the reels
- Green Gladiator: Mace – the mace awards 2 double-stacked wild on the reels
- Blue Gladiator: Trident – the trident awards 4 random wilds
Gladiator Free Spins
Free spins are triggered either by landing 3 or more scatters on the reels, or via the buy-a-bonus feature. Once triggered, there is an option to choose from two different modes of free spins – training mode or deathmatch mode. See below for details;
- Training mode free spins – play it safe with training mode free spins and you’ll be awarded with 8 free spins after which you’ll keep all your bonus round winnings.
- Deathmatch mode free spins - Deathmatch mode is the more volatile choice, but also offers the biggest potential rewards. You must hit a 450 coin target (22.5x stake) during the round, but if you do then your winnings will be multiplied. Once again you can choose to increase the volatility by choosing 7, 6, or 5 free spins with a 2x, 3x, or 4x multiplier respectively. If you fail to reach the win target of 450 coins then you will at least be awarded a consolation prize of up to 10x your stake or 5 training mode spins.
In both free spin rounds all high value symbols will be replaced with one of the three Gladiators. Furthermore on each spin 4 wilds will hit the reels courtesy of the chosen Gladiator’s weapon. Also, bigger wins can be achieved in the free spins round as all symbols can appear stacked, unlike in the base game.
Buy a Bonus
If you’re prepared to stump up 100x your chosen spin-stake then you can circumnavigate the need to play for free spins and buy straight into the feature via the Buy a Bonus button
Game Design and Overall Feel
Yggdrasil never fail to impress with their design and artwork and this time out their talented team bring to life the historic spectacle of the world’s most infamous Gladiatorial stage, the Roman Colosseum. The title page shows a superbly detailed section of the stadium, packed with baying mobs of blood-thirsty spectators.
The main gaming screen recreates a similar scene, only this time gameboard fills much of the screen. The board has transparent reels framed within the entrance of a Roman temple. A golden Roman Aquila sits at the apex of the temple with the game’s logo beneath. The cheering crowds can be seen through transparent reels while the game plays to a majestic, if slightly ominous soundtrack.
Coins of metal, bronze, silver, and gold represent the lowest value symbols. Stone carvings of a bull, an eagle, and a lion are the game’s mid-value symbols. Three Gladiators (blue, green, and red) are the highest value symbols, with the red Gladiator the most valuable regular symbol, awarding 2, 6, or 60x the stake for 3, 4, or 5 across a payline.
A golden eagle is the wild symbol, and a metal warrior mask is the game’s scatter symbol. The scatter symbol offers the highest 5 of a kind win, paying 600x the stake if you can manage it. Finally, there is a special symbol in the bonus game, a horn-masked Gladiator known as “The Beast”.