Blackjack Charts for Basic Strategy and Perfect Play
If not using a Blackjack chart when playing on online casinos (in brick & mortar ones too, for that matter), the casino has an 8% edge over you. That's a serious disadvantage. You can, however, reduce it to as little as 0.2%. This is done by reading our charts that tells you the best mathematical approach to every situation and scenario for specific Blackjack games. This strategy is called optimal play.
To out optimal play into perspective: your expected loss is €800 if you wager €10.000 and don't apply it, versus as little as €20 if you do.
You'll find multiple Blackjack charts for different games on this page:
- 4 to 8 Decks: dealer stands on Soft 17
- 4 to 8 Decks: dealer hits on Soft 17
- Live Evolution Gaming Blackjack chart
- Evolution Gaming Free Bet Blackjack charts
Blackjack chart for when the dealer stands on soft 17 (4 to 8 decks)
What's the best mathematical approach to the game when your dealer stands on soft 17? Here's the perfect play to achieve it.
In order to best make use of our charts, you should learn the terminology and player options by heart.
When to Surrender:
- Surrender hard 16 when the dealer shows a 9, 10 or an A.
- Surrender hard 15 when the dealer shows a 10.
- Do not surrender a pair of eights, regardless of what the dealer shows.
When to Split:
- You should always split all pairs of A’s & 8’s
- Split 2’s when the dealer shows a 4-7
- Split 3’s when the dealer shows a 4-7
- Split 4’s when the dealer shows a 5-6*
- Split 6’s when the dealer shows a 3-6 (and 2’s*)
- Split 7’s when the dealer shows a 2-7
- Split 9’s when the dealer shows a 2-6
- Split 9’s also if the dealer shows an 8-9
- Never split a pair of 5’s, or a pair of 10’s, regardless of what the dealer shows
* Only when doubling after splitting is allowed on the table.
When to Double:
- Hard 9 when the dealer has 3-6
- Hard 10 (not when the dealer shows A or 10)
- Hard 11 (not when the dealer shows A)
- Soft 13-14 when the dealer has 5-6
- Soft 15-16 when the dealer has 4-6
- Soft 17-18 when the dealer has 3-6
When to Hit:
- Always hit when your hand is a hard 11 or less
- You should always hit when you have a soft 17 or less
- Hit on hard 12 if the dealer does not have 4-6
- Hit on hard 13 if dealer does not have 2-6
- Hit on hard 14 if dealer does not have 2-6
- Hit on hard 15 if dealer does not have 2-6
- Hit on hard 16 if dealer does not have 2-6
- Hit on soft 18 unless the dealer shows A, 9 or 10
When to Stand:
- Always stand on hard 12 when the dealer shows 4-6
- Always stand on hard 13 when the dealer shows 2-6
- Always stand on hard 14 when the dealer shows 2-6
- Always stand on hard 15 when the dealer shows 2-6
- Always stand on hard 17 and up
- Stand on soft 18 (hit when the dealer has 10, 9 or A)
- Always stand on soft 19 and up
Blackjack chart for when the dealer hits on soft 17 (4 to 8 decks)
What's the best mathematical approach to the game when your dealer hits on soft 17? Here's another chart showing how to achieve perfect play.
The same chart above, but with modifications for optimal play when the dealer hits on soft 17.
Rules of thumb:
- Do not use your insurance option
- Stay away from even-money choice
- Always view your hand as a hard 10 or 20 if there are no rows for splitting your 5’s and 10’s.
When in doubt, use the “dealer hits on soft 17”, instead of the “dealer stands on soft 17” strategy as this will mean fewer losses over time.
Live Evolution Gaming Blackjack Chart
Players playing on the Evolution Gaming’s Live Blackjack tables have requested a separate chart as the dealer will check for Blackjack if the face-up card is an ace.
This slightly changes how you approach optimal play on the Evolution Blackjack tables, so we’ve created a separate Evolution Blackjack chart adjusting to how you play your 10(s). The game is still played with 4 to 8 decks, with the dealer standing on a soft 17.
Evolution Gaming Free Bet Blackjack Charts
Evolution Gaming was the first provider to introduce Free Bet Blackjack online, a variant that was originally invented by Geoff Hall, and introduced to Las Vegas at the Golden Nugget casino during summer 2012.
You can find dedicated charts for this game my clicking this link that will take you to our article on Optimal Free Bet Blackjack strategy charts.