The Royal Family by Yggdrasil Gaming released on 04.03.2020 is a 5-reel & 4-row online slot with 25 paylines and a 96.1% RTP. This is a royal family-themed game offering players a max win of up to 3500x their stake. The Royal Family can be played on all devices from €0.1 to €200 per spin and is considered a medium volatility game.
Where to play
Design and Symbols
Take a typical deck of cards and look at the 4 highest value cards – The Ace, King, Queen and Jack. In Royal Family, these four symbols make up the highest paying symbols. Their four suites, the club, spade, diamond and heart make up the lowest paying symbols. The other symbols on your reel include the wild joker and the free spins giving chalice. The wild joker substitutes all symbols except for the chalice. The name of the game also indicates what kind of music the slot has; think of a royal drum bass with a trumpet tune and harp sounds right in the middle that you might hear while visiting the royal court.
Although the special features are numerous when compared to other online slots, the downside to Royal Family is that these features can take a somewhat long time to trigger. You find free spin rounds, random triggers and three ways to trigger the free spins rounds.
Free Spins Bonus Round
First, Get three to five free spin symbols anywhere on your reel, and you’re awarded 8, 16 or 24 free spins respectively. Second, you can activate free spins as part of the feature prizes, and lastly, win free spins from the Royal Chest. During the bonus round, the background changes as you’re welcomed to the inside of the castle. Any high-value symbol showing up on your reel has a chance to turn into a sticky wild; if the last spin lands on the wild symbol, the wild stays in place for the rest of the free spins. Get more free spins during this round by landing a Royal Chest.
Collecting two feature prizes on one reel will award you eight free spins with the feature prizes active during the entire free spins round The feature prizes include:
- +1, +2, +3 starting wilds,
- +1, +2, +3 free spins and
- -1 low paying symbol.
- The 1st rare feature prize on reel 1 is a dagger and awards you 2 extra free spins, x2 multiplier and 2 starting wilds.
- The 2nd rare feature prize on reel 2 is a crown and awards you an x4 multiplier.
- The 3rd rare feature prize on reel 3 is a golden orb and awards you 2 starting wild reels.
- The 4th rare feature prize on reel 4 is a necklace and awards you 6 starting wilds.
- The 5th and last rare feature prize on reel 5 is a key and awards you 9 extra free spins.
This can appear both in the base game and during the free spins round, but either way, it will show up on your 5th reel.
- During the base game, these winnings can vary from anything between 100 to 2500 coins, 8, 16 and 24 Free Spins.
- During the Free Spins round, these winnings will vary from two, three and four extra spins or one to three extra sticky wilds. Cross your fingers and take your pick.
Our Thoughts on Royal Family
As already mentioned, we could not help but connect this game to another similar to its kind, Vikings go Berzerk. However, this did not stop us from giving Royal Family quite a number of spins before making our judgements. The features are frequent enough to keep you occupied, and after a few goes, the different random triggers will make perfect sense. We never got to complete all feature prizes ourselves, so make sure to record your spins and post it in our forums just in case you do, as we really want to see it!