Mars Attacks! by Blueprint Gaming released on 15.12.2018 is a 5-reel & 3-row online slot with 25 paylines and a 96.44% RTP. This is a movie -themed game offering players a max win of up to 10000x their stake. Mars Attacks! can be played on all devices from €0.1 to €500 per spin and is considered a high volatility game.
Where to play
Design and Symbols
The design isn’t dissimilar to another Blueprint movie-themed slot, TED, with the 5x3 translucent game board spotting a red neon border with dark colours at the bottom of the screen and hazy purples and reds above. However, rather than a toy bear asleep on a couch in a nightclub the background scene for Mars Attacks! is of the grounds of the White House with the illuminated presidential building centre screen and an ominous looking red and purple sky above where you can spot the occasional Martian spaceship passing by overhead. The graphics and animation are first class as are the sound effects and clips from the movie.
The low symbols are the royals J, Q, K, and A with the higher values taken by images from the movie, namely the eyeball ring, tv sets, laser guns, Martians, and the Mars Attacks! logo. The logo is the highest paying symbol is the logo which pays 25x bet size for 5 across a pay line. The wild is the Martian Ambassador which also pays 25x bet size for 5 in a row.
Not only does Mars Attacks! have visual similarities to TED but, just like Blueprint’s other cult classic themed slot, The Goonies, it shares a lot of its other characteristics. As with both TED and The Goonies there are several bonus features as well as base game features including 3 progressive jackpots.
Base Game Features
- Mega Shrink Ray – The reels reduce in size to make way for an additional 2 symbols per reel, changing the board to a 5x5 reel set.
- Abduction Beam – Feature is played on a different reel set.
- Expansion Cannon – Occasionally a bunch of mystery symbols will land on the reels which will then all transform into a randomly selected regular symbol.
- Sub-Zero Lazer – Land a win and the winning symbols remain in place and you get a free respin. Respins continue until no new wins land.
- Radiation Blaster – The blaster adds random wilds.
The Bonus features are triggered by landing 3 or more scatters whereupon you must pick a zone on a world map to be invaded by the Martian army which will decide which of the following features you are awarded
- Martian Takeover – 10 free spins with roaming wilds which shift 1 reel to the left until it reached the end of the board with each spin.
- D.N.A Analysis – 5 free spins on a 5×4 reel set with expanding wilds active. The wilds grow by 1 symbol in height with every subsequent spin.
- Spy Hunter – A pick bonus where you reveal wither Martians or humans. Martians award cash multipliers while humans end the feature. Reveal the Martian ambassador for a 1000x bet size Big Money Bonus
- We Come in Peace – Another cash picking bonus.
- Final Stand – Pits man vs Martians. The aim is to fill the human progress bar before the Martians by landing a human “advance symbol” which can land on the second reel. The Martians advance symbol appears on reel four. You keep spinning until such time as either the humans or the Martians win, accumulating regular wins along the way. If the humans win then you will be awarded a Big Money boost of up to 1000x bet size.
This game is part of the Jackpot King Network and there are 3 progressive jackpots on offer which can be seen on display above the game board. Trigger the jackpot feature by landing Jackpot King Deluxe symbols on every reel. Progress up the ladder by accumulating crowns on subsequent spins where 15 or more crowns will send you on to the Wheel King round where you will play for one of the 3 Jackpots.
Our Thoughts on Mars Attacks!
In our opinion Mars Attacks! is another great reimagining of a cult classic movie from Blueprint. It could be argued that they might try to move away from the same format as they have given us for both TED and The Goonies, but personally, I feel the features are different enough for it to be an altogether different gaming experience. Blueprint obviously adhere to the maxim, “If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it”, and in this case, that’s no bad thing. The game is immersive, well designed, and pays homage well to Tim Burton’s largely unappreciated (at the time at least) sci-fi comedy. This slot should appeal across the board as it will satisfy high variance players, feature-lovers, and recreational players who love a movie-themed slot.