Play Count Duckula on
Count Duckula by Blueprint Gaming released on 13.01.2017 is a 5-reel & 3-row online slot with 20-40 paylines and a 93.35% RTP. This is a cartoon-themed game offering players a max win of up to 10000x their stake. Count Duckula can be played on all devices from €0.2 to €500 per spin and is considered a medium volatility game.
Based on the popular UK cartoon series of the late ’80s to the early ’90s, Count Duckula is a vegetarian Duck vampire who feasts on ketchup instead of blood and is more interested in pursuing fame and fortune as an entertainer than in becoming a proper vampire.
Community Big Wins
Design and Symbols
Count Duckula is set in a graveyard just outside the grounds of the Count’s haunted castle. The animation and characters replicate those in the original cartoon, while the soundtrack is a somewhat upbeat, 80’s synth-based affair, interspersed with the occasional spooky sound effect, especially when a bonus win might be near.
The low-value symbols are taken by the J, Q, K, and A while the higher value symbols are represented by Duckula’s Coat of Arms, his cuckoo clock, his giant organ, the haunted castle, and the Count himself. This is the highest paying symbol where five in a pay line will earn 500 coins (still only 12.5x the spin stake, however). The other symbols are a wild, symbolised by a stake through a heart, and the scatter symbol which is a gold framed picture of Count Duckula. There are also appearances from other series regulars such as Duckula’s butler Igor, his housekeeper, Nanny, and his nemesis Dr Von Goosewing.
As with many of Blueprint’s releases, Count Duckula keeps its players entertained by offering up a wide selection of possible bonuses including four which are randomly triggered in the base game, and six possible features during the bonus round.
Base Game Bonuses
- Igor Mystery Potion – Igor walks from right to left across the screen carrying a potion bottle on a tray before tripping and spilling the potion all over the reels, leaving several symbols covered in potion which will then all be revealed as the same high paying symbol
- Count Duckula Wilds – Duckula strolls on then transforms into a wild symbol which then appears on a random selection of places on the reels
- Nanny Colossal Wilds – Nanny walks onto the reels with a colossal (expanded) wild on and pulls to the wild onto the reel enabling a huge 3x3 colossal wild to land
- Duckula’s Winged Winspin – Duckula commands his bats to remove symbols from the reels and to replace them with jackpot symbols
Wall of Fame Bonuses
The Wall of Fame Bonus round is triggered by hitting three Count Duckula bonus symbols. You then spin a wheel to reveal which of the 6 bonuses you get. You also have the option to gamble your bonus to the next best bonus. If you win you move to a better bonus, lose and receive a mystery win instead of a bonus feature. In order of value the bonuses are;
- Tombstone Bonus – Select tombstones to reveal cash prizes. Keep picking until you reveal Dr Von Goosewing whereupon the bonus round will end
- Ancestor Bonus – pick from a selection of picture frames on the castle wall to reveal stake multipliers. If you reveal 3 Count Duckulas and you progress to the Super Bonus for even bigger wins. As with the tombstone bonus, revealing Van Goosewing will end the round
- Dr Von Goosewing Free Spins – Here you’ll receive 10 free spins with sticky wilds for some potentially lucrative wins
- Wild Heart Free Spins – Your chances of winning with these 10 free spins are even greater as the board changes from 5x 3 reels to 5 x 4 instantly doubling the number of pay lines. Also, every time you land a wild heart symbol it will be collected and at the conclusion of the spins, the hearts will randomly occupy spaces on the reels for one final spin. You also get a chance to retrigger this final spin multiple times for even bigger wins.
- Count Duckula’s Big Money Bonus – Duckula is tied to a money wheel which you spin to hit money multipliers. Land on the same segment twice and the bonus is up.
- Rapid Fire Cashpot Bonus – Either landing on this bonus or gambling your way up is how you can potentially make the biggest profit. The cashpot meter is shown by the amount of ketchup in the meter. There are three levels of cashpot, with the meters all visible throughout the game above the main game board. Hit the big one, and you’ll take home a decent progressive jackpot.
Our Thoughts on Count Duckula
Count Duckula does a great job of staying true to the original cartoon series with great attention to detail and a fun design. There are also some really fun features included in the game, and it’s nice to have the option to gamble to a better feature and potentially to a large progressive jackpot. That being said, unless you happen to have been a child growing up in the UK in the 1980s like this reviewer (and let’s face it, you probably weren’t) then the backstory will be lost on you and it’ll just be another nicely animated cartoon slot. Furthermore, despite some great features, there is really no getting around the fact that with just a 93% RTP, the house edge for Count Duckula is twice that of a lot of equally fun slots, so be sure to factor that in when you plan your session.