Well, you’re getting to know me as a writer by now, and what is a week without a fantasy-themed video slot? Today we are taking a closer look at The Alchemist’s Gold from 2by2 gaming. This is a five reel, four-row video-slot, with 40 fixed pay-lines. Features include wild symbols and free-spin with a mode-picker.
Design and Symbols
We find a magical theme, where the alchemist and his magical philosopher stone is in the center. You will find this alchemist and his stone throughout the game, and they play an essential part in the special features as well.
In The Alchemist’s Gold, the magician himself acts as a Wild symbol. The Scatter symbol is the Philosopher Stone, and during features, all symbols might turn to gold. More about that later!
- Wilds replace all symbols except Scatter,
- Alchemist Feature is triggered by Covering reels two or four with the alchemist himself.
- This will turn all symbols on the reels into golden symbols
- Golden symbols effectively pay out 4x the original prize.
- For the higher paying symbols, you will only need two symbols to get winnings, instead of three.
Free-spin bonus Rounds
- Three symbols grant ten free-spins
- Four symbols grant 15 free-spins
- Five symbols grant 20 free-spins.
As soon as you have won free-spins, you will be presented with a selection of two free-spin modes. The All Gold Free Spins and the Easy Feature Free-spins. You can earn additional free-spins in both game modes, by collecting three, four or five scatter symbols.
All Gold Free Spins
- During all gold free-spins, all pays will be from the gold symbol pay-table.
- You will not encounter the Alchemist feature during all gold free spins.
Easy Feature free spins
- Easy Feature free spins enable expanding wilds on reels two and four.
- This effectively activates the Alchemist feature, making the whole wheel wild, and converting all other symbols to golden symbols
- Additional free spins can be won during free-spins.
Our thoughts on The Alchemist’s Gold
The Alchemist’s Gold is an OK slot. 2by2 has not gone above and beyond in this production. That said, I do like the design of the symbols, and the mechanics surrounding the golden symbols is nice. (Although it’s basically a multiplier)
I found the bonus game picker a bit strange as well, as you can either get golden symbols on all reels or activate the easy feature free spins which will grant up to two full reels of wilds and golden symbols to boot IF you land a couple of wild symbols. Why would one go for gold symbols when the stacked wilds during free-spins grants the same, and replaces up to six symbols?
Is there something I’m missing? – Share your thoughts in the forum!
Will I play it again? Well, I do not see myself spending too much time with this slot in the future.